Sunday, November 13, 2005

It's my birthday, and I blog if I want to

Yippee me, I'm 25 everybody!

Although not as high key as many other birthdays, it still seems in a strange way the best birthday so far.

We had a family thing last night because my mother's birthday was last week - 2-for-1 special - my sister came up from Canberra, and my brother and his wife came around. We got our mother a selection of sweets and other confectionery goodness, as well as a ticket for 2 to do the Bridge climb. I got money and gift vouchers for JB Hi-fi. Guess I'll be making a stop in Galeries Victoria sometime soon. Wonder if Firefly is out on DVD yet ... hmmmm

Why was this little gathering the best birthday so far? In many ways, I have now come to accept my family. It feels more right. It feels better. In the past, my birthday was not all that special to me. It still isn't, but its a day when you are remembered. Perhaps in time, I will have a clearer answer.

Today was the second week of my program involving 2WtL. It's going very well, and I think that the kids will remember the meaning of the pictures for some time. I'm finding that teaching this comes naturally. I'm documenting what I'm doing so others can utilise this program (anyone doing a beach mission, Sawtell, in particular - I'm looking at you). Although it's 6 boxes, I'm sure you could stretch it to 7 (my 'ace-in-the-hole' for 7 is a revision lesson).

Using distinct colours and symbols makes really good hooks for the kids to latch on. The repitition of symbols (big crown = God, etc.) is memorable and constructing the image on the cardboard reinforces the lesson. In many ways I'm proud to have put this together. I'm also quite happy that my kids are happy with this too. Because its such a big project, that looks great, they're pretty keen on putting it together. Much more, I'm happy that at least one parent likes it (well, he's the only one I've spoken to) and my hope is that the goals I put forward for making this (that this not only teach them now, but also later on and to others who see) will spring forth. Sunday School teaching is a ministry whose fruits come years after you sow. Not all that you sow will spring forth, but you get a buzz when the understand even now. How much more when you see them older, then in heaven, and know that your labour produced fruit!

It's been good day, and its not even finished. TIme to finish lunch and prepare to lead church tonight.

No comments: