It was after taking a recording of the sermon on Sunday with my trusty MP3 player that I realised that Sunday was September 11.
And then it dawned on me. The coverage of this day was not much. It was a usual Sunday in September, footy finals, sunday school, sore after cricket. People were forgetting.
Although I have no personal connections to the events of four years ago, I can still sense that the collective consciousness of the event has died down. Things are lower key. This makes me sad.
And it seemed to work back into my mind parts of the sermon.
We Australians have ANZAC Day. It is a Day of Remembrance. It is a time to realise that people died so that those who live could live lives of freedom and security and peace.
Christians have communion. It is a time of remembrance, to remember that Christ died so that we might have a life of freedom in Christ, of security in Christ, of peace in Christ.
In this time, I remember that the world is a dark place. People are evil to their very core. But I will not forget that Christ died, and now lives, that this darkness is not all there is, but that light and life has come to the world and gives hope to those who believe, not as the rest who mourn.
I have other reasons for remembering Christ, and mourning, and death. It seems that it has visited very closely to some I know. And though with them I mourn, I remain firm on the hope that is with great foundation. May his grace be upon my friends who mourn.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment