Friday, October 21, 2005

To hatch a plan

Its my last term of teaching Sunday School (at least, for the moment). I have had it in mind that this term I will make sure that the children at least hear if not understood in a rudimentary sense the elements of the Gospel.

The idea first sparked when Haoran was going on about the coat hanger diagram. In my usual imaginary way, I conceived of potential uses of this or other similar constructions as ways of teaching the Gospel and rudimentary Biblical Theology. Back home, I tinkered with various configurations. However, I figure simpler is better. So I'm going to attempt to teach them 2 Ways to Live (without calling it that).

The idea will be that in the last 6 weeks of term the kids will construct each box on two sides of a piece of cardboard, and then they'll hang the arrangement in the following manner:


1
/2   4
|   |
3   5
\/
6


I'm going to use good solid cardboard so that the thing lasts for ages and hopefully when they do see a similar presentation later in life, they'll look back and remember. Now that I come to think of it, I'm hatching even more plans to make these things durable.

And again, now that I think about it, I'm hatching plans, or 'plotting' as my sister would call it, for Christmas presents. I have need for suggestions for the following people:

  1. My sister - I'm thinking a CD, but what music? She likes Live, Crowded House, Michael Buble, I think Norah Jones as well. I'm not sure what she's acquired down in Canberra though she seems to among those who prefer to acquire music outside of CD's.

  2. My young charges who assist me at Sunday School - 16 year old female and 15 year old male. Probably something sport related for the male, may default to chocolate or other sweetness for female.

  3. Parents - no idea, ever. I don't know what kitchen appliances my mum is seeking after. Hopefully my sister will know.

  4. People in bible study - Mostly young couples, 1 older couple with 1 year old child.



Given that none of these people ever visit this page (well, no one has told me that they have) I should be fine with having any suggestions put up here. All welcome!

And I also don't mind people 'casually suggesting' stuff they want me to get for them. Unless of course I have something else already in mind ....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If your sister likes Crowded House, get her the Neil and Tim Finn tribute album "She Will Have Her Way" with covers by Aussie and Kiwi female artists (I wish Bic Runga was on that CD!). Double CD available at JB Hi Fi for $22. Second CD are the Crowded House/Split Enz originals.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if it's the diagram or my head, but not 100% certain how those durable bits of cardboard actually stick together.

I'm sure it's hideous and devious and most excellently crafted, nonetheless.

Can I get a souvineer one for helping you think of the idea? :)

Jason Au said...

To Elsie - suggestion noted

To Haz - devious and excellently crafted I intend it to be. Much cunning has gone into the plan. I'll see if I can get one to you once my class is done.