A post by Haz got me thinking.
I don't watch TV much - mostly morning news, Dr Who, and occasional crime shows like SVU.
My sister keeps berating me for 'not knowing things', those unspecified things being various supposed people who are supposed to be famous for something or another and whom I have never heard of.
Although the last movie I saw was Batman Begins, I am not known for seeing movies with a high frequency, and prefer to see movies later rather than earlier (like Star Wars ep 3, which I waited a week and a half or something like that before I saw, and the Matrix sequels, likewise.)
I have no sense of fashion, just what fits and doesn't look horribly inept. I love my many black tracksuit pants and wear them to work even.
If you start talking to me about Desperate Housewives, Home and Away, even the Live 8 concert*, I might just give you a blank stare which says "What are you talking about?"
I walk at a slower pace then the rest of the world. At least, thats the way it seems. I see those lifestyle ads in Sunday newspapers and I blithely ignore it. The world I see is the world I know - I seem anchored on my reality and everything else can pass on by. I don't want the flash cars the world shows me. Holidays? I just want to relax, somewhere else, and get to read some decent non-mind wrangling fiction, or play out creativity building strange decks for Vs.
Perhaps its also because I don't understand. I see things and think "So ... ?" and walk on by. The world doesn't always talk to me in a language I understand, trying to talk me into things using words I won't hear, or speak through media I don't sense.
The desires of my heart are few, perhaps because in many ways I don't know what to desire. Still, as James writes, even those limited desires will tempt me and lure me into things I should not do. So I'm left with a kind of blissful blindness to the world, and yet a frustrating lack of knowing what I want to do, or perhaps, the right words to express and frame the ideas which seem too liquid to hold a form which I can name.
* I have no idea who played or when, apart from U2 apparently opening London and anything gleaned from news highlights.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment