Yellow Ledbetter
On the Lost Dogs compilation, this comes right after Hold On. And I think its one of the best songs ever. I've never really been sure what the heck the song is about, but its sad. I think its about grief, but then the words tend to morph next time PJ brings it out at a concert. But the tune is what carries it generally, combined with the vocal mood that gives the feel of crying out in grief. This doesn't reuly reflect a part of my life, but I like this song and I think its the ultimate track (in a dual sense) to end an album marked mostly by the emotion it drives in me. Although I've lost grandparents, I've never truly grieved their loss, mostly because the first, my dad's dad, I was too young to know well, and the second, my mum's mum, although I knew better, I did not know well as a grandma because she spoke little if no english. Typing this has reminded me of one of the few things I know I have lost - speaking fluent Chinese. Its made me lose touch with the older generations of my extended family, and in me I display the assimilated work of being in Australia, of being an immigrant's son in a multi-cultural society.
But anyway, I love this song. And I don't think I'd end a compilation any other way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment