Friday, February 18, 2005

My Life as a soundtrack parts 5 and 6

Queen Trio - Save Me, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Somebody To Love

Firstly, I think Queen are one of the best things to come out of Britain ever.
I think they're the first band I listened to. I distinctly remember the clip for 'I want it all'. After that my brother procured for me 'Greatest Hits 1' on a copied casette tape (think how far back that must have been) and I was hooked. They had their own style which seems different to the music of the age. Something like, stylish rock. It wasn't heavy on the guitars all the time - witness the varying styles in Bohemian Rhapsody, or the classic bass line with keyboard in Under Pressure. I liked it.

I'm treating 2 of the three together here. I put them in this order because I think they go well like that. Its the same order as found in the aforementioned Greatest Hits album.

Save Me
The lyrics speak of a man whose split up with a former love or wife and is finding it bloody hard to replace her, because he can't really forget her. Now he cries for salvation from the loneliness he's experiencing from the split.
I myself haven't had such a split, but I've had my heart torn to shreds at least once, and I feel for the loneliness expressed therein. I've felt like screaming this chorus out to my Lord, and I've certainly expressed these sentiments without singing to him. The feeling of being far from home never feels good.

Crazy Little Thing Called Love
A funny little song. Its kinda cute and quirky. I also think love is crazy, because its a verb. But the use of the word in this world I guess adds to the confusion. Its harder to live the verb, even if you know the noun isn't really part of it. But it makes you wonder what it feels like.

No comments: